Semillas "Virtual” Tutoring
Fiesta Cristiana’s Semillas de Unidad (Seeds of Unity) is a tutoring ministry that works to overcome inequality challenges in our education system for “English as a Second Language” Latinx students and families. K-8 students n are individually matched with a tutor for an hour of one-on-one assistance with homework, math, and English Language Arts. SdU "Virtual" tutoring began in September 2020. Currently, we have 43 tutor/student pairs meeting weekly or biweekly.
What Tutors and Prospective Tutors Should Know
If you are considering registration to be an SdU tutor, be aware of the following:
- Tutors do not need to know Spanish necessarily because most students being tutored are bilingual.
- However, tutors who know some Spanish can communicate more easily with SdU parents.
- Bilingual tutors are needed to work with SdU students who are not proficient with English.
Tutor Registration Forms
All tutors must complete the following before tutoring with SdU:
- Registration is the first step to become an SdU tutor.
- Prospective tutors provide information about themselves, which the SdU team uses to match them with their student(s).
- SdU, like all other ministries of the United Methodist Church, must comply with a Safe Sanctuary Policy
- Tutors 18 and older should mail the completed background check to....
Mary Beth Parker, 100 S. Hughes Street; Apex, NC 27502
- Tutors younger then 18 should have teacher or parent email a personal reference on your behalf.
- Tutors and parents must carefully read and fill out this form to understand the requirements expected of them.